Question:

From Georgia, USA:

I had to go to the hospital recently and was admitted to the ICU. My doctor told me I had the flu. The Emergency Room (ER) doctor that saw me initially is the one that put me in the hospital. He says I have diabetes, not the flu. Here are my symptoms I had: big time muscle cramps in almost my entire body; extreme thirst; really bad heart burn; inability to keep anything in my stomach except water; difficulty walking; I smelled like Juicy Fruit gum, according to my wife; Kussmaul breathing (per my chart); four CO2 "panic" procedures done in the ER; and a blood sugar of 956 mg/dl [53.1 mmol/L]. Am I diabetic? I would much rather just have the flu.

Answer:

It is likely you have diabetes with that kind of blood sugar.

[Editor's comment: For more information, see our list of Symptoms of Diabetes.

BH]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and LADA and MODY

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.