From Bloomington, Illinois, USA:

We are considering switching our seven-year-old son to an insulin pump. Because school is about to start, we are concerned about the timing. Is there a best time of year (like summer) to make the switch?

Your question is a great one. Is there a best time to start insulin pump therapy? I don't really know. The question I would have in response is, "If not now, when?" I do understand the appeal for starting in summer, but given that summer is almost over I wouldn't wait to start insulin pump therapy if it is determined to be the option that you and your health care provider decide on.

If you ask any pumper, the one regret they have about insulin pump therapy is that they say they wish they had started it sooner.

Posted to Insulin Pumps