From Rocky Mount, North Carolina, USA:

My son is new to the pump for this year's soccer season. I recently purchased a pump band from Pump Wear. The band we purchased fits on his leg instead of his waist as he thought this would be better. Do you think this is a good choice or do most kids disconnect?

A great question indeed, whether to disconnect or not for sports. Disconnecting does not mean that he's without insulin; insulin can last in the body for several hours, so disconnecting for brief periods of time is okay. But, that does mean that the longer he's disconnected from his pump, the greater the chance he'll be deficient of insulin eventually. So, it's a delicate question. You'll meet many who do one or the other and swear that their way is the best way - I don't believe that either one is. The real question is, "Is it right for your son?" Things that might help you make your decision might be: What does this kind of activity do to my child's blood sugars?; how long does insulin last in his body?; and how long is the activity? You might also want to talk online with others, possibly at our site's Sports and Athletics Forums or our Chat Rooms.

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Insulin Pumps