Question:

From Southampton, New York, USA:

When my son was first diagnosed, I was told to perform a fasting test, one at breakfast, another at lunch and then dinner. Could you explain the reason and how it is done?

Answer:

A fasting blood sugar is just the first of the morning blood sugar before he has anything to eat or drink. The terminology is a little confusing, but it really just means the first morning blood sugar. It is typical for kids with type 1 diabetes to test prior to meals during the day, also. These aren't technically fasting blood sugars, just pre-meal blood sugars. Most of the time, a bedtime blood sugar also provides good information for helping to maintain good control of one's diabetes.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Daily Care