From South Carolina, USA:

How can I get my son to get involved with groups or other children who have diabetes? He is in a sense of not wanting to admit he has diabetes right now. He is really struggling and, no matter what I suggest, he will not listen.

It is not really possible to make a child want to attend groups or programs for peers with diabetes. If he feels he's being forced to go, it will become an unpleasant experience and will decrease the chance that he will enjoy such a program in the future. Since he's a school-aged child, he has many years to come to terms with his illness. The important thing now is for you to be sure to provide support and encouragement, and to be sure that he is not given too much responsibility for the daily diabetes regimen. Family support and family sharing of diabetes tasks is the key to successful coping and adapting to this illness.

[Editor's comment: You may want to consider coming to our upcoming Focus on Best Practices where your son would have a chance to meet others with diabetes. And, if you cannot make that event, although it is a long way off, you might want to consider attending our web site's annual Friends for Live Conference and Expo next July. It is a great opportunity to meet many other peers who have diabetes. You can read the Friends for Life 2008 Report to get an idea of what the Conferences are about. BH]

Posted to Behavior and Other Social Issues