Question:

From Grove City, Ohio, USA:

We have been monitoring my five-year-old son's blood sugar level for two weeks and it seems to be going up. On Thursday, it was never below 100 mg/dl [5.6 mmol/L]. On Friday, it was never below 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/L] and, today, it has not been below 115 mg/dl [6.4 mmol/L]. We check first thing in the morning, then two hours after each meal. The highest he has been is 230 mg/dl [12.8 mmol/L]. We were wondering if we are missing something. My husband has MS so we are worried about type 1 diabetes, hence the tests. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer:

It sounds borderline abnormal with periodic definitely abnormal blood glucose values. I would suggest consultation with a pediatric diabetologist so that antibody testing and hemoglobin A1c can be obtained and more specific follow-up arrangements made. I doubt if your husband having MS is a risk factor. Although both type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis are both autoimmune disorders, they are usually not associated with each other.