Question:

From Roswell, Georgia, USA:

My boyfriend has pre-diabetes. His blood sugars are very controlled with the exception of his fasting blood sugar. He works very hard at eating a no carbohydrate diet, but on occasion, due to travel and work commitments, is forced to eat a high carbohydrate meal. Several times after eating a high carbohydrate meal, his heart has begun to race. Can the amount of carbohydrates eaten cause this to happen?

Answer:

If his blood sugars rise, it can cause some increase in heart rate so that he feels palpitations in the chest. If he has these symptoms from high sugars, however, I would be concerned that his sugars have exceeded the cutoff for diabetes and he may require potentially more treatment. I would suggest he review this information with his doctor.