From Roswell, Georgia, USA:

My boyfriend has pre-diabetes. His blood sugars are very controlled with the exception of his fasting blood sugar. He works very hard at eating a no carbohydrate diet, but on occasion, due to travel and work commitments, is forced to eat a high carbohydrate meal. Several times after eating a high carbohydrate meal, his heart has begun to race. Can the amount of carbohydrates eaten cause this to happen?

If his blood sugars rise, it can cause some increase in heart rate so that he feels palpitations in the chest. If he has these symptoms from high sugars, however, I would be concerned that his sugars have exceeded the cutoff for diabetes and he may require potentially more treatment. I would suggest he review this information with his doctor.