From Richmond Hill, New York, USA:

My seven-year-old son, who has type 1 and is on a pump, is attending a new elementary school this year. The principal at the school suggested I not take him in for breakfast and that he must eat lunch with the school's nurse. This has taken an emotional toll on my son, since his previous school (which he graduated from with high marks) allowed him to participate in everything with his class. Lunch hours was the only time he was able to socialize with his classmates. He now feels like an outsider and does not want to attend school. I've tried talking to the principal but she stood her ground and did not want to hear another word of it. I think it's a liability issue. With whom should I file a complaint or with whom should I discuss this matter? My son also has a 504 plan which was another issue with the new school.

Federal laws require that students with disabilities (like diabetes) be given equal access to all school-sponsored opportunities. This means that your child must be allowed to eat lunch with his peers and the school must implement the necessary safeguards to make sure your child is safe in the cafeteria, has access to appropriate food choices, and is given time to finish his lunch. To single him out just because he has diabetes is discriminatory. Language should be written into your child's Section 504 Plan. Please call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES and review some of ADA's key resources about School Discrimination.

Posted to School and Daycare