Question:

From Thailand:

I'm 24 years old and very thin. I was misdiagnosed with type w diabetes two years ago. Recently, my doctor indicated that I'm a type 1.5 diabetic, but isn't sure which type. Can I get an anti-GAD test to clarify whether I have LADA or MODY? In my country, it's very difficult to have the genetic test for MODY. I'm not sure whether LADA is autoimmune and MODY is genetic. Does this mean my children could develop MODY more easily than LADA?

Answer:

The anti-GAD antibody test is for LADA. It is not for MODY. It is a cheaper test. LADA is autoimmune so it is associated with the presence of the antibody. There are many commercial tests available for the anti-GAD antibody.

Posted to LADA and MODY