From Canada:

My nine-year-old son has type 1 diabetes. His blood sugars have been going off the meter for the past month or so. We have talked to both of his doctors and are getting conflicting reports. We have noticed that every time we add more insulin, his blood sugars go up, but have been told that this is impossible. We think his liver is overproducing glucose, but no one will listen. What do you think is going on?

Spoiled insulin, insulin not being given, overeating, or illness are the likely culprits. Livers just don't make extra sugar in the way that you suggest. I would encourage you to get an appointment with your diabetes team and see if you can problem solve. Direct observation of all insulin injections, all food and all monitoring would usually answer such questions You can also check his A1c, which would confirm the high blood glucose levels as well.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Daily Care