From Spruce Pine, North Carolina, USA:

My seven-year-old daughter has had type 1 for five years. She has never tested positive for red blood cells, white blood cells and bacteria in her urine. She has tested positive for all three of these twice in the past two weeks. The culture was negative and she is asymptomatic. Her sugar is under pretty tight control. Should I be concerned? There is a family history of kidney problems.

This is NOT diabetes related. You can be comfortable with that. Diabetes does not make red or white cells or bacteria. It could be an infection. You should follow up with her doctor given the family history of kidney disease. You need a better history of type, age of occurrence, etc. Maybe your pediatrician could send you to a nephrologist.

Diabetes in kids can cause protein in the urine, but not that is not likely yet; indeed, it would be rare for a child of your daughter's age.

[Editor's comment: The WebMD site has a pretty good explanation of Urine Tests that you may find helpful. BH]