Question:

From Orange, California, USA:

My son's endocrinologist, whom he's seen for less than a year, refused to give us a new prescription for numbing cream. My son uses lidocaine/prilocaine cream (2.5%/2.5%) before inserting his pump infusion set and the sensor for his CGMS. Moreover, the doctor refused to give a reason for his refusal! Do you have any idea what the doctor's motivation might be?

Answer:

My best guess is to prevent the development of an allergy to the cream. My hospital uses a spray called Pain Ease, which freezes the site to make injections/blood draws painless.

[Editor's comment: For more information, see Lidocaine and Prilocaine (lidocaine and prilocaine) cream (EMLA). BH]

Posted to Other and Insulin Pumps