From Orange, California, USA:

My son's endocrinologist, whom he's seen for less than a year, refused to give us a new prescription for numbing cream. My son uses lidocaine/prilocaine cream (2.5%/2.5%) before inserting his pump infusion set and the sensor for his CGMS. Moreover, the doctor refused to give a reason for his refusal! Do you have any idea what the doctor's motivation might be?

My best guess is to prevent the development of an allergy to the cream. My hospital uses a spray called Pain Ease, which freezes the site to make injections/blood draws painless.

[Editor's comment: For more information, see Lidocaine and Prilocaine (lidocaine and prilocaine) cream (EMLA). BH]

Posted to Other and Insulin Pumps