Question:

From Albion, Michigan, USA:

I drink and sell a fruit juice sold through a multi-level marketing company. Could this be a way to control my daughter's fruit intake? We just found out two days ago that she may be diabetic and I have no clue where to start and know nothing about the food part. We eat pretty healthy now, chicken, turkey, fruit, vegetables. I don't buy pop or a lot of junk food so I am really confused what else to give her food wise.

Answer:

If your daughter does in fact have diabetes, I would recommend that you have your physician refer you and her to a registered dietitian who specializes in developing meal plans for people with diabetes. This person can develop an individualized meal plan for her to use. With diabetes, it is important to follow a meal plan and strive for variety (including adding some fruits) and moderation in her diet. Of course, in addition to meal planning, diabetes management also includes incorporating regular physical activity, medication, if needed, and monitoring blood sugars.

With regards to the fruit juice, the best, most complete, and most cost effective source of nutrients still comes from the whole fruits themselves.

JMS

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, CWD Founder and Editor:

See also MLM Watch - The Skeptical Guide to Multilevel Marketing.

JSH