From Columbia, South Carolina, USA:

My son will be five years old in January. He was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes March 15, 2007. So, we have been following the treatment plan assigned us by the pediatric endocrinologist. My concern is that my son has always been very solid and sturdy (not overweight or chubby). The only exception were the months leading up to his being diagnosed. Over the last year and a half, he hasn't gained any weight, not a single pound. We've had him tested for celiac disease and the results were negative. But, today, looking at him, I realized he is looking very thin and while I know that as kids grow they tend to "thin out," this has me very concerned as his clothes are now just hanging on him. His blood sugar levels have been great and he hasn't been sick. Is this something about which I should be concerned? Could it be related to his being diabetic?

I would seek consultation from your pediatrician about his weight. Your pediatrician can plot his growth accurately and let you know whether there might be a problem. Your pediatric endocrinologist can also be a great source to talk about height and weight.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss