Question:

From Ontario, Canada:

Is there any connection between type 1 diabetes and hidradenitis suppurativa?

Answer:

I'm unaware of any connection between diabetes and hydradenitis suppurativa.

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

Anyone can get an infected sweat gland under the arm (or elsewhere). So if the patient with type 1 diabetes gets some breakage in the skin under the arms or has less than ideal hygiene there, this may lead to the conditions conducive to hidranenitis suppruativa.

Many of us have seen hidradenitis suppurative in patients with type 2 diabetes, again likely a reflection of poor hygiene in the light of increased body fat rolls that didn't get cleaned well.

Add to these any underlying poorly controlled type 1 or type 2 diabetes, which allows germs to thrive, then you might really have a set up for infection.

In my prior University-based practice, we saw a lot of this but could not finance the study to analyze this more.