Question:

From Danville, Kentucky, USA:

What are the present and future ramifications of refusing insulin with gestational diabetes?

Answer:

Gestational diabetes can be managed in three ways. Frequently, an adjustment in diet is adequate to bring glucose control into the normal range. If diet alone fails, then medication may be indicated. This could either be an oral medication such as glyburide or insulin injections or even a combination of the two. I usually start with glyburide. If that is not adequate, then I will add insulin. If your blood sugar cannot be controlled, then you run the risk of excessive fetal growth, hypoglycemia in the newborn and possible poor heart function in the newborn (cardiomyopathy). The risk is relative and increases with higher levels of hyperglycemia in the mother.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes and Insulin