From Spokane, Washington, USA:

I am a school nurse and this question came up -- does over milking the finger alter the blood glucose level in a child? I have a child you doesn't poke the finger hard enough and really has to milk it to get blood. Does this affect his blood sugar level?

Vigorously milking the finger could cause the fluid between cells in the skin to be released, diluting the blood sample.

Here are some tips to getting an adequate blood sample: Be sure the finger is warm and pink. This indicates that adequate blood is there. Shaking the hand downward may also help.

Finally, use a meter that requires very tiny drops of blood.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Daily Care