Question:

From Spokane, Washington, USA:

I am a school nurse and this question came up -- does over milking the finger alter the blood glucose level in a child? I have a child you doesn't poke the finger hard enough and really has to milk it to get blood. Does this affect his blood sugar level?

Answer:

Vigorously milking the finger could cause the fluid between cells in the skin to be released, diluting the blood sample.

Here are some tips to getting an adequate blood sample: Be sure the finger is warm and pink. This indicates that adequate blood is there. Shaking the hand downward may also help.

Finally, use a meter that requires very tiny drops of blood.

BS

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Daily Care