Question:

From New York, New York, USA:

My daughter, who has type 1 diabetes, is planning on studying abroad in Israel from March 2009 through June 2009. I am interested in learning if her diabetes supplies (i.e., NovoLog pens, BD pen needles, the Lantus Solostar pen, One Touch test strips, etc.) are available in Israel and if the insulin strength is U100. I tried reaching out to the diabetes association in Israel but received no response. Please advise and, if you can provide a contact in Israel, it would be appreciated.

Answer:

Israel uses U100 insulin and has NovoNordisk products available. In-country doctors include Dr. Naomi Weintrob, Chief Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes Service, DANA Children's Hospital Tel-Aviv Medical Center (naomiw@tasmc.health.gov.il); Dr. Harry Hirsch in Jerusalem (hirschmd@netvision.net.il); Moshe Phillip in Tel Aviv (mosheph@post.tau.ac.il); and Zeev Hochberg in Haifa (z_hochberg@rambam.health.gov.il). Of course, your daughter should take with her as many as possible of the needed supplies. Perhaps she will have access to a mail service where you could send her additional supplies.

JSH