Question:

From Edmonds, Washington, USA:

My 13-year-old son has just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's. He has type 1 and is on an insulin pump. Is Synthroid the only treatment? He was put on it the same day our doctor called with results and I feel I need more information.

Answer:

Synthroid is Abbott's brand of levothyroxine. Thyroiditis will eventually cause his thyroid to stop functioning normally. During these years (teens), he will grow and develop. Normal thyroid hormone levels are critical to normal growth and development. Your doctor is treating to be sure the levels stay normal at this critical time.

Specifically, the answer is yes, levothyroxine. I am not willing to get into the argument as to whether you must have a certain brand. Others may wish to do that with you. I just encourage you to treat him.

Posted to Thyroid and Other Medications