From Ruston, Louisiana, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed at the age of eight and her diabetes is not under control. She is open minded to a lot of different foods, so I was wondering what type of food she could eat that is closely related to what her twin brother eats?

This is an important question. I am so glad that your daughter is open minded with regards to trying various foods. I would encourage you and your daughter to schedule an appointment with a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. This person can give you a lot of recommendations with regards to healthy meals and snack ideas for the entire family.

Nowadays, diabetes meal planning focuses attention on working in whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats and low fat dairy products that both your daughter and your entire family can enjoy. Nutrition and healthy eating are a big part of effective diabetes management and a registered dietitian can assist your daughter in meeting this goal. If you need a referral to a dietitian, ask your physician or health care team.