Question:

From Maryland, USA:

Because of the fragility of the Y chromosome, is a male fetus less likely then a female one to survive a diabetic pregnancy?

Answer:

This is an interesting question and I was not able to find a specific answer. According to the CDC database, more conceptions result in a male embryo than female. However, the fetal death rate is higher for male embryos/fetuses than female embryos/fetuses. Nevertheless, there are slightly more male than female live births (about 1049 males for every 1000 females). The only reference regarding diabetes associated stillbirths was from 1979 and the authors reported a 3:1 male to female stillbirth ratio. Since 1979, fetal surveillance has improved substantially along with the care of pregnant women with diabetes so I doubt that ratio still holds but, I cannot find a more recent reference. Speaking as a male, I do not feel that my Y chromosome is all that fragile either.

Posted to Other and Genetics and Heredity