Question:

From Medford Lakes, New Jersey, USA:

My six-year-old daughter was diagnosed type 1 diabetic in August 2008. In late October, my 18-year old daughter was diagnosed the same. Now, my four-year-old daughter had routine testing done for her thyroid. An A1c was done and it was 6.2. She does not have any symptoms we can see. I have periodically tested her on a home meter. She has had fasting blood sugars of 86 mg/dl [4.8 mmol/L] and 99 mg/dl [5.5 mmol/L]. After eating, she has been 103 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L] and 139 mg/dl [7.7 mmol/L]. Could she be in the beginning stages of diabetes or can she just have an A1c that is higher than expected? And, is it common to have three children diagnosed with this disease? I'm really worried but don't see the signs yet of anything wrong.

Answer:

The best option for you is to have your younger daughter tested through TrialNet. They should be able to check her antibodies and risk.

[Editor's comment: See also a related question about multiple siblings being diagnosed with type 1. I am aware of at least three families in which all three children have type 1, but I would not say this is "common." And, see our page on the Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes.

BH]

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Genetics and Heredity