Question:

From Jemison, Alabama, USA:

My son, now nine, has had problems since he was four. At first, he would turn colors and pass out and when he would wake up, he would vomit. As soon as he drank something, he would be fine. He has always complained when he would urinate. Now, he has readings anywhere from 40 mg/dl [2.2 mmol/L] to 310 mg/dl [17.2 mmol/L]. He has severe leg pains and never feels good. The school nurse has had me pick him up from school often with high readings. We have had test after test done and the numbers aren't where they need to be yet for a diagnosis. I am afraid that my son is going to go into a coma or have a stroke before he gets help. Sometimes he just sits and cries because he feels so bad. He turns so white, that he doesn't even look like he has life in him. What should we do?

Answer:

Your child would benefit from a thorough history and physical examination done at your board-certified pediatrician's office. There are several disorders that can cause the symptoms you describe. He likely would benefit from the expertise of a pediatrician -- and possibly some further testing.