Question:

From Glenrock, Wyoming, USA:

I use a Medtronic pump and play volleyball. In volleyball, I jump and move a lot. What should I do with my pump? I've tried putting it in my sports bra, but it just moves when I jump and it even fell out during games. I also just tried taking it off right before the game and then putting it back on after, but then I ended up being high while playing. What should I do?

Answer:

The good news here is that you've already found your control is better with your pump on as opposed to off. Now we just have to find a way to keep it on you! First, try looking at pump accessories from the pump company web sites, including Medtronic, and those listed on our Pump Links and Resources page. I know Medtronic sells a harness for adults that keeps pump secure, while Animas sells leg and thigh wraps that would also keep it from moving. Some diabetes sites, like Diabetes Mall are also good for searching; they actually sell a sports bra with a pocket specifically for pumps.

It may be that you don't find anything you like for your pump. If that is the case, then maybe you can go to an Apple or a cell phone store and look at their accessories for iPods and cell phones for ideas, then try and create your own. Be creative! That's what I've done the majority of the time when it comes to wanting something to hold either my pump or my meter.

And don't forget to check out things like CWD's forums. You might be able to throw the question out and get better advice then mine, especially since I'm a guy and can't relate to the sports bra issue!

BF

[Editor's comment: See also our page on Smart Pumps and Sports:To Wear the Pump or Not? and our previous questions on Exercise and Sports for related information. BH]

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Insulin Pumps