Question:

From Memphis, Tennessee, USA:

I am 43, the daughter of a type 1 diabetic and the mother of one, too. My 12-year-old was diagnosed nearly 11 years ago. Recently, I began having periodic hypoglycemic episodes and have undergone a full endocrine work-up. I tested negative for antibodies. An OGGT on two occasions showed hypoglycemia at the two hour mark. There were no blood glucose elevations. My insulin levels were also normal. I do have occasional elevated HGH. Can the hypoglycemia cause an elevation in human growth hormone? My IGF-1 was within normal limits. Repeat laboratory tests have been performed. Sometimes my HGH is normal, sometimes it is high. With each subsequent blood test, my IGF-1 always remains normal. Our endocrinologist does not seem concerned and offered no logical explanation. An MRI of my head was negative for a pituitary tumor. Can this simply be related to hypoglycemia? If not, is there another obvious reason I can pursue?

Answer:

Yes, the elevated growth hormone level could be a reaction to the low blood sugar. Growth hormone is one of the hormones in your body that reacts to bring blood sugars up. The fact that the IGF-I level was normal is reassuring. IGF-I is a measurement for overall growth hormone secretion, much like the HbA1c is a test for overall glucose levels. I would tend to agree with your physician, but realize that this type of information is not complete and follow-up will be important.