Question:

From New York, USA:

We are considering switching our 13-year-old daughter from NovoLog to Apidra to help with postprandial spikes. Have you found that it really acts faster than NovoLog or Humalog?

Answer:

No, they seem similar. One thing that has been shown to help with postprandial spikes is to give the insulin about 15 to 20 minutes before eating, especially if it's a meal with rapid carbohydrate content.

LAD

Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

While my guess is that through this "unscientific polling" of the Diabetes Team experts there may be some preferences of one type of rapid acting insulin versus another, I am not aware of any clear evidence-based data that shows any clinical difference in the onset and actions of insulin lispro (Humalog), insulin aspart (NovoLog), or insulin glulisine (Apidra). Now, having said that, I certainly can imagine that in any individual patient there may be some nuances, so a switch is not unreasonable. But I wouldn't be surprised if that the only difference is insurance coverage and/or possibly, maybe, price.

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Daily Care