From Glen Burnie, Maryland, USA:

I took my granddaughter to her endocrinologist last week. He was happy with the results of her A1c (7.8), but he did not like the number on her kidneys. I believe he said it was 35. He is having her urine retested again. I asked what this meant and he said kidney problems, but it was too soon to worry about that. We had the test done again and are waiting for the doctor to return from vacation. It is hard not to worry, but could you give me any insights as to what he may be looking at? My granddaughter was diagnosed in September 2001 at the age of four. She is now 12 years old and has been using an Animas 2020 pump for a year.

If you were talking about microalbuminuria, this would be an early sign of kidney damage. This is not good news except that knowing it early gives her the opportunity to improve glucose control. This only helps. More importantly, if it persists on repeat testing then it would be likely lisinopril will be prescribed. This medication is helpful in protecting the kidneys. Lowering her A1c would be very helpful. In an adult, no smoking is critical under these circumstances.