Question:

From Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA:

My almost nine-year-old grandson has type 1 diabetes and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. For the past couple of months, we have been trying to find a medication that will work efficiently without causing his blood sugars to become very low. It seems these medications all cause him no desire to eat and it is making it very hard for us to control his diabetes. Is there any advice for this dilemma?

Answer:

The appetite effects of the drugs used for ADD/ADHD are a big issue.

Maybe Strattera won't have such an effect, but might not work as well on the ADD either. Still, maybe it is worth discussing with your doctor. Treatment of ADD is very individual so you must work with the doctor. As far as the low blood sugars, you will have to reduce the insulin. Clearly, I am not an expert in ADD so you may need to consult such a person in addition to the diabetes doctor.

Posted to ADHD and Hypoglycemia