From St. Louis, Missouri, USA:

I just recently moved and then, shortly after, lost my insurance. I have been trying to cut down on my expenses by using Wal-Mart's Novolin insulin. This has been causing my blood sugars to be pretty unpredictable since I'm used to using Humalog. My prescription for insulin ran out and I really don't have the money to see an endocrinologist out of pocket. Are there any ways that you know of that I can obtain a prescription without having to pay full price for an appointment with an endocrinologist? Then, I will be able to take of cheaper prices from mail order pharmacies.

State law in Missouri, and many other states, allows for the old human Regular insulin to be purchased without a prescription. However, the short-acting insulin analogs like lispro insulin (trade name Humalog) require a prescription for distribution. But, an endocrinologist is not required to prescribe lispro insulin. This can be prescribed by any physician. I would recommend that you find a physician somewhere who can follow you. Generally, they will be able to write the appropriate prescription for you.

Posted to Insulin Analogs and Insurance/Costs