Question:

From Shortsville, New York, USA:

I've had type 1 for 39 years. My new doctor changed the way I take my insulin. I take Lantus insulin in the morning according to the reading on my glucometer. Then, I take Humalog according to what I am to eat. I am on a sliding scale and I now eat every two hours, which has helped me a lot. I check my blood sugar before each meal and at bedtime, and that blood sugar can be within my range, but when I wake up, sometimes it will go higher. What can I do to achieve more "normal" blood sugars when I am asleep? I do not take any insulin before I go to bed. I also am perimenopausal and wonder if these hormonal changes are affecting the way my body is processing things. Can you help me find an answer?

Answer:

The Lantus dose is based on the fasting glucose, adjusted only intermittently, based on the trends at the pre-breakfast reading. Lantus is a very long-acting insulin and does not have the luxury of being adjusted daily. It is also the insulin that covers your blood sugars overnight.

[Editor's comment: Please be sure to check with an endocrinologist about your dosing. BH]

Posted to Daily Care and Insulin Analogs