From Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA:

My daughter, who has type 1 diabetes, was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Her TSH was 9.5. She has a palpable thyroid and symptoms such as dry skin and hair, tiredness and consistent low blood sugars. She has been put on Synthroid 0.05 mg, every day. She started the medication two days ago and her blood sugars are soaring. We will have to make insulin adjustments but I would like to know why this happens. Her recent A1c was 7.2.

Seemingly easy to manage diabetes seems a part of hypothyroidism. I can't explain; maybe the metabolism is slower. It does happen. You'll need to adjust to the new reality because it is important that your daughter achieve normal thyroid function.

[Editor's comment:

See also some of our previous questions about the Thyroid and the use of Synthroid. BH]

Posted to Thyroid and Other Medications