From Kerman, California, USA:

My eight-year-old grandson weighs 112 pounds. This morning, his blood sugar level 102 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L]. Is that too high for him? His father, my son, was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and we were just checking his two sons' sugar levels. His other son is 13 years old and his level was 72 mg/dl [4 mmol/L]. The younger son is very, very active in sports so I was a little surprised at his level.

Based on a home glucose monitor, a morning value of 102 mg/dl [5.7 mmol/L], in someone of your grandson's body parameters, without any corresponding symptoms, would not be diagnostic of type 2 or type 1 diabetes mellitus.

[Editor's comment: See also some of the many questions we have on the Diagnosis and Symptoms of diabetes.