Question:

From Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA:

In 2001, I was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 23. There is absolutely no family history of diabetes. My mother recently found a blog posting on a web site (I am not sure which site) which indicated that several women with no history of diabetes were diagnosed with type 1 after they stopped taking the birth control Depo-Provera.

Answer:

It is very common to have type 1 diabetes diagnosed without a family history. Only a very small percentage of people diagnosed with type 1 diabetes have a family history of this disorder. It is type 2 diabetes that is associated with a very strong family history. Depo-Provera is associated with insulin resistance so it is associated with type 2 diabetes.