From Westland, Michigan, USA:

My daughter is starting middle school in the fall. I have a meeting with the principal of the school on April 20th. The school nurse says "her diabetic students" don't test in class, yet my daughter sometimes has lows at school. Do I have the right to insist she be allowed to test her blood sugar in the classroom? She does have a 504. Do they HAVE to let her?

If your daughter possesses the maturity, skill set, and knowledge to check her blood glucose in the classroom independently and has permission from the parent and health care provider, then there is no reason for the school to object - unless there are concerns about her ability to do so. Students who have the ability to perform the physical act of checking blood glucose and who can properly and safely react to blood sugar results, should be allowed to check anywhere, anytime and this should be incorporated into the child's 504 Plan. For more information, see the ADA's Safe at School Campaign or call 1-800-DIABETES.

Posted to School and Daycare