From Carlisle, Arkansas, USA:

As a nurse, I was recently asked about the dosage of a friend's daughter's medication. They presumably asked the doctor but did not receive an answer. In the past, about three months ago, her fasting blood sugar was 110 mg/dl [6.1 mmol/l]. The nurse would not inform them of the most recent blood sugar, just told them she is not diabetic yet. However, her metformin dosage was increased to 1500 mg. I would like to know if this is a safe dosage for a 12 year old. I am not able to find research showing the efficacy and safety of metformin in children.

As a nurse, you must recognize a few things: First of all, you didn't supply enough clinical information such as weight of the child. Also, you must already know that many commonly used drugs in pediatrics are not officially FDA-approved. Why did you not advise your friend to speak to the doctor or the doctor's office nurse again? Metformin is approved for pediatric use down to age 10 years. The maximum recommended dose is 2000 mg/day. I, personally, have prescribed more on occasion.

I hope this helps. Certainly. if your friend has questions about their child's health, they should contact their primary care provider.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes