From Wasilla, Alaska, USA:

I have seen problems in my six-year-old son for years. He has chronic stomachaches, extremely low energy, tingly feet, frequent urination (recently has started to "drip" in his underwear before he can make it and tells me he is afraid he is going to pee his bed because he has to go so much and doesn't think he'll make it), is very skinny (but not losing weight), and gets very confused and dazed (the other night he forgot to use his fork and my husband offered him a napkin and he didn't know what it was for). It seems he goes through cycles. He'll seem normal for a week or so and then these issues will come up over and over. When he is down, he just sits out of everything and is so lethargic. We have gone the gastrointestinal route, including an endoscopy, thinking it was related. Nothing showed up on that.

Can diabetic symptoms come and go? We are just at our wits' end trying to figure this out and getting nowhere. I do not want to suggest one more thing "it could be" if diabetic symptoms cannot come in waves.

I don't think of symptoms of diabetes as really "coming and going," but I have seen children, on occasion, who are yet to be diagnosed as diabetic, who have symptoms that "percolate" a little. Some clinicians have observed that on occasion, HYPOglycemia (low blood glucose) has preceded HYPERglycemia (elevated blood glucose) in the child on their way to becoming diabetic.

Your child's symptoms are certainly not normal and I suggest you make an appointment for a COMPLETE history and physical, which will likely also include some blood and probably urine testing. If your pediatrician's office is typical these days, you don't just want to "show up" as a walk-in patient as, commonly, not enough time is devoted for walk-ins. When you call for the appointment, explain the symptoms and indicate that you want time for a complete history and exam.