From Karachi, Pakistan:

My daughter's sugar level two hours after dinner was 500 mg/dl [27.8 mmol/L], but she was not symptomatic. She was running around merrily. What instrument is best for checking her sugar level? Secondly, can my daughter eat diabetic chocolates and juices?

People with diabetes can "feel" okay, run around, etc. with frighteningly high glucose levels. The elevation of the glucose depends on where she started and what she ate, what kind of insulin was given and when was it given in relationship to the meal if it were rapid acting insulin (analog versus Regular insulin). Regular insulin and lots of carbohydrates could carry a 250 mg/dl [13.9 mmol/L] to 500 mg/dl [27.8 mmol/L] at two hours as the Regular wouldn't have time to act.

There are many good brands of meters in your country. You have to ask your doctor. I recommend glucose checking before meals and bedtime for all and after meals when the first numbers are under control.

Remember that diabetic foods may have sorbitol and can affect her digestion. Juices are simple sugars and raise the blood glucose level a lot. Small amounts are okay. Be sure to check with a dietitian, if you have one at your disposal.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Blood Tests and Insulin Injections