Question:

From Memphis, Tennessee, USA:

My 17-year-old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in December 2008. She had a physical in July and her glucose was normal at that time. She also was given four vaccinations at that time, including the new Gardasil. She immediately started losing weight, but it wasn't until December before anyone could figure out that she had diabetes, after seeing three doctors. I have read that there is a question on the safety of multiple vaccinations given at one time. I found one article that another girl had pancreatitis immediately after receiving the shots. Is anyone questioning newly diagnosed patients on whether they had any vaccinations prior to being diagnosed in order to determine if the two are related?

Answer:

There have been numerous well designed scientific studies looking at immunizations and their relationship to the onset of type 1 diabetes and while there is interesting speculation, all the science suggests that there is no relationship, just coincidence.

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, CWD Founder and Editor:

See also Immunizations and Type 1 Diabetes.

JSH