From Savannah, Georgia, USA:

My 14-year-old daughter was recently diagnosed with insulin resistance and possibly PCOS. Her insulin level was 33. The endocrinologist said this level was not too high and that her risk of developing diabetes was slightly increased. My daughter has started to put on weight around her mid section and is getting stretch marks on her arms and back. She has been trying to control her weight gain with diet and exercise, but it doesn't seem to be working. Basically, I feel that the doctor just felt like she is fat and these are the consequences. Please give me some suggestions. My daughter is going to be starting high school and this whole weight and stretch mark thing is causing her great distress.

If your daughter were diagnosed with insulin resistance, she would be developing type 2 diabetes because insulin resistance is the hallmark of type 2 diabetes. Your endocrinologist likely gave you advice on how to become more healthy including decreasing portion sizes, losing weight, and increasing activity. All of these are usually important in treating a child that has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes or are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes (have any measure of insulin resistance). You should also make sure that your pediatrician is involved. They can assist with your questions and reinforce changes in medication and/or lifestyle that would benefit your daughter.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2 in Youth