Question:

From Lincoln, California, USA:

I had gestational diabetes while pregnant with my second child. I have noticed that he is constantly craving sweets. Is he at a greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes than my other children? Should his cravings be of concern?

Answer:

Gestational diabetes is unrelated to your children's food likes or dislikes, cravings, etc. Certainly, there are individual preferences for children but also what he or she is exposed to in the family also matters. Such cravings are not related to blood glucose levels. The risk of a child's developing type 2 diabetes increases with obesity and other family history of diabetes including maternal history, but is not at all directly related to a mom's having gestational diabetes.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Type 2 in Youth