Question:

From Visalia, California, USA:

I have a nine-year-old daughter who seems to be really affected by food. She has irritability, anger, nausea, tiredness, that go away with in 20 to 30 minutes of eating the proper food. She was referred to an endocrinologist who suspected type 1 and put her on a five day continuous glucose monitor and testing at home. Her numbers wax and wane all day and night. They said she is like a roller coaster while a normal person is pretty flat line all day. She ranged from 64 mg/dl [3.6 mmol/L] to 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], but she never got above 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L]. We had further blood tests that then came back okay. Her A1c was 5.3 and she tested negative for the antibodies. She had vitamin deficiencies although she is a very healthy eater. The doctor was unsure what is going on, but thinks my daughter lacks first response and wants to wait and see her every six months. My daughter is on a very low carbohydrate/sugar diet and they want her to eat every two hours. This seems to be helping but I am curious what the future holds for her. Is she destined to get diabetes or should we be searching for answers somewhere else?

Answer:

Antibody tests are pretty good at the prediction of diabetes. She certainly isn't at immediate risk for classic type 1 diabetes. I would agree to watch. In the meantime, watch for the typical symptoms of type 1 diabetes, including increased thirst, increased urination, wetting the bed, etc. Don't miss that and let her get sick.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Behavior