Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

Now 18, I have had type 1 for about 10 years. Thankfully, I have never had any issues with my weight. It has always been pretty stable...except for now. All of a sudden, starting around two weeks ago, my stomach started getting really bloated. I know that this is normal sometimes, such as when I get my period or eat a really big meal but, for the past two to three weeks, it has been like this nonstop! My stomach looks a lot bigger than it normally is. My sister even thought I was pregnant and just starting to show; that's what it looks like.

I also get some abdominal pains and bad gas on most nights nowadays after I eat dinner. This is really bugging me, especially because I have not been eating a lot at all and my blood sugars have been very good. This should not be happening to me randomly. I have not recently changed my diet/exercise schedule or anything, so it's a really big mystery as to why my stomach is doing this. I hate looking "fat" like this and it's really making me stressed out. I just want things to go back to normal

Answer:

It is difficult to determine, from what you have written as to what the cause(s) might be. For instance, I can't tell from your letter whether you actually have been gaining weight or whether this is a cosmetic issue with your belly with "bloating." Are you having increased burping and passing gas the other end? When was your last period?

I'd start by having you get examined by your diabetes health team so that they can check your weight and compare to previous weights and also look at your chart to see if it is time to screen again for thyroid disease or celiac disease. An underactive thyroid could lead to some weight gain and "puffiness" while celiac disease could lead to increased bloating and gas. Both disorders are commonly associated with type 1 diabetes.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Other