Question:

From Tripoli, Libya:

My son, who is three years, seven months old, has type 1. He weighs 17.5 kg (almost 39 pounds) and is 103 cm (3 feet, four inches) tall. How many grams of carbohydrates should he be consuming daily? I saw a dietitian on t.v. discussing carbohydrates and want to know if this is the type of diet my son should be following.

Answer:

For your three-year-old son, a "rule of thumb" for calorie needs is approximately 1200 calories/day. Of those 1200 calories, roughly half should come from carbohydrate sources. This would mean that you should strive for about 150 total grams of carbohydrate per day. You can read food labels to obtain important information about carbohydrate contents of food. You may also want to read Meal Plans and Diabetes.

JMS