Question:

From Maryland, USA:

As an adult with type 1 about to undergo a tonsillectomy due to recurring strep infections, I am concerned about weight loss after the surgery. I've heard you can lose 10 to15 pounds afterwards. I'm of normal weight so losing that much weight wouldn't be a good thing in my situation. Is it advisable to gain weight to try and offset the upcoming effects of the surgery?

Answer:

I appreciate this as an important issue to consider prior to the surgery. You need to talk with the physicians involved in the case. Whether this requires enteral nutrition through a feeding tube into your stomach, a central line for parenteral nutrition, or some other approach, it is important to address this before the surgery. I am not so sure that gaining extra weight is good, especially if your blood sugars do not do well during such a regimen.