Question:

From Delhi, India:

My five-year-old son has had type 1 for one and a half years. His A1c has always been good. What medicine should we apply to his insulin injection sites which look like cuts and a rash?

My son also complains about pain in his lower legs. Should I give him vitamin D, calcium tablets, or something else?

Answer:

I am presuming it's just a couple of scratches and no other rash. I think the most important detail is to be sure the skin is clean before the shot so any scratch doesn't have dirt in it. If it's minor, do nothing more, otherwise, cover it with maybe antibiotic ointment.

We are understanding the need for at least 400 units of vitamin D in children. They do need calcium but, hopefully, the diet - milk, yogurt, etc. - covers that.

Posted to Other Medications and Aches and Pains