From Clinton, Iowa, USA:

My six-year-old was diagnosed in with type 1 in December 2008. Now, my 10-year-old has tested positive for the three antibodies that cause diabetes. Everything I've read points towards the fact that she will get diabetes because the presence of islets means that her body is already attacking itself. Is this correct?

Antibody positivity suggests that the body's immune system is activated and targeting the islet tissues. The higher the titers and the more positive of the multiple antibodies, the greater the risk. One should work closely with the diabetes team ordering the original tests to set up a surveillance system of blood glucose monitoring to decide when and if insulin should be started so that ketoacidosis can be avoided, hospitalization prevented, etc.