Question:

From Garden City, New York, USA:

My eight-year-old daughter is severely autistic, as well as epileptic and diabetic (type 1). She cannot speak and shows little or no outward signs of hypo or hyperglycemia, even when she is hypo or hyperglycemic. I would like her public school to provide an air conditioned classroom during very humid and warm periods. The school seems to be resisting this request, likely because of money considerations. My daughter's endocrinologist has written to the school suggesting that her classroom be air conditioned in order to avoid the reactions she experiences in exceptionally warm and humid environments. The school has "agreed" to take a "wait and see" approach. I would be interested in knowing if there were any empirical data showing the effects that heat and humidity have on children with type 1 diabetes. Perhaps then, the school would be more willing to take a more proactive approach and simply install the air conditioner in my daughter's classroom before the heating season begins. Any suggestions?

Answer:

I am afraid that there are no studies of which I am aware about colder or warmer temperatures and incidence of hypoglycemia. I suspect that the ambient temperature is not at all related and that you should be able just to set up a blood glucose monitoring schedule that allows for recognition of blood glucose levels, i.e., pre-meals and pre-snacks should be sufficient. But, you should go back to your pediatric endocrinologist who knows your child the best and follow their specific advice.

Posted to Other and School and Daycare