Question:

From Miramar, Florida, USA:

While we were at the parks at Universal studios in Orlando, my daughter changed to flip flops because her shoes had gotten wet. When we were getting off the escalator, she cut the side of her foot, tearing off a piece of skin. I have been putting cream on it and a bandage daily, but I just want to make sure it does not turn into anything worse. Is this the type of injury that turns into something worse in diabetics?

Answer:

I get lots of questions about feet from parents of children with diabetes. It is true that many people with type 2, especially older, have circulation problems and nerve problems leading to difficulty in healing of injuries. This just isn't the case for children who usually have good circulation and good healing ability. BUT, healing is impaired with high glucoses. Do continue your good control. Sometimes high blood sugars that you can't explain may mean infection. Watch for that. Otherwise, with typical care, it should heal.

Posted to Aches and Pains and Other