Question:

From Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA:

My 15-year old daughter, who has type 1, has had three episodes in the last 12 months that involve hypoglycemia (overnight) and transient aphasia (about two hours). She also has a headache for about 15 hours afterwards. It's very frightening to all involved and we are working on prevention, but do we need to see a neurologist, as our endocrinologist suggests? This will freak her out and cause all kinds of stress to her (and me). Do these episodes cause permanent brain damage?

Answer:

I understand the anxiety about seeing the neurologist. Your endocrinologist is concerned that there may be something more than just the hypoglycemia. I don't think so, but it cannot hurt to look. I try to tell my patients that the "truth is the truth." It is out there and will come to see you; why not discover it before it gets to be a real problem? A 15-year-old is soon to drive. She needs to be safe, etc.

By the way, these episodes are certainly an argument for a continuous monitor.

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Other