Question:

From Oak Ridge, North Carolina, USA:

Both my husband and my son have type 1, diagnosed at the ages of 14 years and 15 months, respectively. We are expecting our second son in October. Hopefully, I will be able to breast feed but, if not, what type of formula is best for those with high risk for developing type 1-cows', soy, etc?

Answer:

I would use one of the hypoallergenic formulae. Ask your pediatrician for his advice and favorite from the brands. I would steer clear of a cows' milk based formula. Finally, there are wonderful support systems for mothers who wish to nurse babies. Get to know them now and use them. Most hospitals offer excellent support for nursing mothers. Almost all mothers who wish to nurse can be helped to do so.